Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Piss Ass: This had to happen sooner or later...

I picked Kenzie up yesterday from daycare, and we were having a lively debate (I thought it was friendly... guess it wasn't from her point of view) about who "owned" the blankies (two very old linen towels that I had bought at an auction years ago). When I sat down on the driver's side, she said, "You're a piss ass."

What the?

She'd never heard that term from me nor my husband (who doesn't use any profanity or vulgarity at all).

OK - here is the moment when I either do it right or do it wrong. I asked her one more time to clarify what she said... and she looked me straight in the eye and said "Piss ass". Clear as day. Grinning. I even questioned it to be sure...

I just glared at her and told her that that was a bad word, that I was not happy she said it.... and I didn't want to hear another sound from her for awhile.

Not... another... sound.

Several sniffles later, she starts to talk...

I told her the only thing I wanted to hear from her were two words: I'm Sorry.

OK, technically that's 3 words...

By the time we got to the pharmacy, she asked if she was going inside. I told her I only wanted to hear "I"m sorry" - and I guess she'd had enough time to think about it, so she said "I'm sorry, Mama." And she actually sounded like she meant it.

I then told her that we don't call each other names, and that what she said was very bad. I also told her that I know I sometimes seem mean, but I am responsible for making sure she grows up to be respectful, considerate and knows that she can say she's mad and state why she is mad without calling people names.

I know that when she was 2 and even through most of this past year, if she said a word that was (in our home) considered a bad word, I could ignore it, and if we didn't repeat it or use it, she would drop it. But she is now at a point where she is beginning to have a better understanding about words, their meanings, and how to use them.

Time will only tell if I handled this one right. I guess this can be the trial run for when she's a teenager and calls me a stupid bitch because, as we all know, teenagers are the smartest people in the whole wide world... right?

Wonder how I'll handle it then.

OH, and by the end of the day there were lots of hugs and kisses and "I love you"s. I never go to bed mad at her... She always gets the softer, sweeter side of mommy at the end of the day.

No comments: