Friday, September 05, 2008

I need to thank so many people...

How do I go about thanking all the people who have been supportive of our journey? A mere thanks couldn't go far enough. There are people coming out of the virtual woodwork to offer help, suggestions, and support.

I've had numerous people contact me in regards to what to expect when adopting an older child. Their advice is being absorbed into my very soul and being. It's great to hear from others who have adopted older children and to know what works... and doesn't work. Not understanding why a child does one thing or another makes it very difficult to know what the right thing to do is. It's hard enough when you have a child that is "normal" in their adjustment and then they act out of character or do something you don't approve of, and there are no instructions to being a parent (bio or adoptive) - so getting help from others is so very important to me. Keep all the information and suggestion coming. If anyone out there has a great book on attachment and methods to help an older child adjust to their adoptive family - I'm all ears!

I think overall, Roy and I do well with children... but we've never had to deal with a child that has been institutionalized for this long. We'll be presented with special challenges, I'm sure. But then, when the attachment begins to form and the bond grows - and it finally clicks with our little one that SHE IS HOME WITH HER FAMILY FOREVER - it will be all the sweeter for having gone through all the challenges.

I've had lots of people ask when we will be traveling. We aren't quite sure yet. However, our agency is hoping by the end of October through the first couple weeks of November. It will be chilly and probably snowing in Harbin at that time. Packing some warm coats, hats, and mittens will be a must. I hope to know something by mid to late September. In the meantime, we are redoing our fingerprints (got the request in to schedule an appointment) and are sending off to get our visas.

God bless you all for your help.
I don't take any of this for granted. I do believe that what goes around, comes around - so you will end up doubly blessed for all your efforts to shore me up and you've been such a good friend to someone who has done nothing to really deserve it... but is so grateful none-the-less.

1 comment:

Sharon said...

Julie:

I'm back from China and getting caught up on emails, blogs, etc...at 4:30am! Thank you for your posts to my blog. I am anxiously awaiting your travel news. I was very happy with our agency, as you already know and have experienced. Best wishes.

Sharon