Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Daycare closed this week - how nice.

Daycares suck. For most people, it is a necessity (single/divorced/widows or widower parents). I have certain (ahem) "obligations" I need to take care of before I can just quit work and be the stay at home mom I would like to be. In the meantime, my daughter suffers.

No daycare (I don't care what anyone says) can ever hold a candle to a mother's care. This morning I informed my daughter that she would be spending the rest of the week at work with me, because the daycare had to close this week. Seems they didn't pass an inspection with the local fire marshall - something to do with not being compliant with regulations post 9/11. She began squealing, jumping up and down, and clapping her hands. When I started to put her in the truck to go, she wrapped her little legs around me, grabbed my face and kissed me hard and then hugged me with the "crushing hug". She was so happy.

Well, that was before I made her take a nap today. Being a mother means I have to make her do things she would rather not because it is good for her... and she definitely would rather not take a nap. When she woke up, she wouldn't speak to me or respond. Gave me the cold shoulder. Aaaaaaaaahhhhhh! (That is - aaaahhh as in a sigh, not a scream.) Thank God I knew this would be one of the things that would happen. No la-la land for me... I don't believe in prefection. I'd be scared witless if she did everything I asked her to do without question, and always said or did the right thing at the right time. I'd be having her x-rayed to see what was really underneath that gorgeous peachy skin tone. I'd have expected gears and sprockets and a microchip processor..... Hmmmmm, I wondered what that whirring sound was when she was sleeping.

I really like being a mommy. The good and the frustrating. Let me go take another crack at her to see if she'll be more open to me... then again, she may not be all that happy with me until after supper, just in time to get her ready for bed... LOL!

No comments: