Thursday, August 17, 2006

Writing and conversations with a 3.75 year old

Kenzie is learning to write her letters, and has been writing her name. It will be a few years before she can win any penmanship awards, but for not even being 4 years old, I can't help but think this is awesome. I'm not so sure about the first E in the name as actually being her handwriting... could have been a day care worker helping her. But I do know that the rest is definitely hers.

She's also been spelling out all the letters in words. She's just about ready to learn the sounds that letters make and then begin reading. OH, my... now that is when the fun will really begin, when she is wanting to read TO us instead of us reading to her.

The amazing thing is, we don't push her. She wants to do this, to be like the big kids. She thinks like an older kid sometimes, and can argue like one, too. Here is an excerpt of a conversation that took place the other night.

First some background. I have been meaning to buy a tool with which I can floss Kenzie's teeth (all of a sudden this is a big thing with Kenzie). I had tried to floss her teeth by hand previously, but she kept biting my fingers in the process, so I told her we would floss her teeth once we had bought the tool.

Here is our conversation....

Me: Kenzie, put the floss up.

Kenzie: But I wanna floss my teeth.

Me: Are you going to let me do it without biting me?

Kenzie: Where's the thing you said you were going to buy?

Me: Did we stop by a store on our way home today? Noooo! So we don't have one. If you want your teeth flossed, I'll have to do it by hand.

Kenzie: Then I guess I'll just have to bite your fingers.

I don't make this stuff up.

No comments: